3 Ways to Crush Anxiety Before it Crushes You

Anxiety is defined on Webster as, "an abnormal and overwhelming sense of apprehension and fear". This is more than just average "worry" or "nervousness" this is something much bigger.


In our culture, "having anxiety" is a social norm and is frequently talked about among many millennials, but what exactly is it? And if you're indeed suffering from this mental plague, how can you deal with it?


It's Toxic Tuesday, and today, we're digging into 3 ways to Crush Anxiety Before it Crushes You.



In America alone over 40 million people are reported to suffer from anxiety each year. Unfortunately, only about 36% of those people are receiving treatment. What about the other 64% of us who daily walk with this "overwhelming sense of apprehension"? I don't know about you, but anxiety is a real thing to me. It can be crippling and you might feel like you're dying - so how the heck can the average person deal with it, without professional treatment?



1. Stop Lying to Yourself


I'm sure that we've all felt the weight of anxiety at one point or another, right? It's often accompanied by fear, worry, and doubt. All of these are very real feelings and it's hard to see past that in the heat of the moment, but stay with me. Confront the fear that's causing you to feel anxious, face whatever has to you worried, and challenge your doubt. Having anxiety is not fun and it doesn't live on a timetable - so stop lying to yourself and seek education and help from others.



2. Stay Healthy to Manage Stress


9/10 anxiety attacks are brought on by some kind of stress. Finding forms of exercise that you enjoy will help you to relax and thus relieving you of the mental torment. If you choose to work out, do so outside. Being in the fresh air is fantastic on its own, but coupled with a physical activity, and you'll be golden. If your anxiety is chronic and you're experiencing thoughts of suicide or of hurting others, please seek professional help and contact the suicide hotline. 1-800-273-8255



3. Practical Coping Stratagies


When I'm in the middle of an anxiety attack, it takes everything in me to stay grounded. Here are some of the steps I take to alleviate anxiousness and stay in a calm state of mind.


  • Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly.

  • Count to 10 slowly. Repeat, and count to 20 if necessary.

  • Learn what triggers your anxiety. Is it work, family, school, or something else you can identify? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed or anxious, and look for a pattern.

  • Get enough sleep. When stressed, your body needs additional sleep and rest.

  • Take a time-out. Practice yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage, or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem helps clear your head.

  • Ground Yourself. I use the 5,4,3,2,1 method and it seems to really help soothe my mind.

5: FIVE things you see around you.

4: FOUR things you can touch around you.

3: THREE things you hear.

2: TWO things you can smell:

1.ONE thing you can taste.


The mind is powerful. It can make us believe things are there when they're not, it copes with grief in strange ways, and it's the host to a plethora of thoughts that can control your emotions. Anxiety isn't a culture fad and it's not something that should be a social norm. If you take the time to deal with the root cause of your anxiety and take action steps to calm your mind, you'll be a lot better off than most of the people who suffer from it.




This week, our #toxictuesdaychallenge is, "STOP LYING TO YOURSELF"

Grab a notebook and pen and draw a line down the center of the page. On the left side, write down three things that you believe cause you to have anxious thoughts. On the right side, write three ways that you can those thoughts. Reflect on this list and leave a comment on our latest Instagram post telling us one way that you deal with anxiety!



Remember that you have a voice and we want to hear your thoughts!

©2019 by Toxico Apparel.

  • Facebook - Grey Circle
  • Instagram - Grey Circle

We're glad you're here!

Join our mailing list for exclusive deals & for motivation!